“Human being has the soul rights to have a sound health to be thrived” the great human being of the nation B P Koirala says. The dictum is following by our institution B P Smriti Hospital. Based on the saying of the great human being B P Koirala, few big hearted individuals, about 39 at the beginning, started forming a cooperative to run the hospital and health educational institutions, from Asoj 13, 2064. Until 9 years of its age, B P Smriti Hospital was roaming around letting its services to the service seekers from Narayan chaur Naxal, Kathmandu and Basundhara ring-road aside. From 2074, Magh 13, B P Smriti Hospital is running at its own building, erected and situated at Kathmandu Metropolitan City, ward no.3, Basundhara Kanti Children Hospital Road. It is just behind the Tilingatar Police Unit (Chauki).
With the limited physical and human resources, hospital delivered its curative and preventive medical services to the people. But as the time elapsed, it has raised its services in significant volume and quality. Almost all types of general and specific medical health services are being given to the patients and clients. The Institute provides curative, preventive, promotive and educational services. At least 10-12 Remote Health Services (General and Specific Free Health Camps) to the people at districts are also disseminated every year. Numerous collaborative health services with NGOs and INGOs, such as PAP smear, First Aid, Dental Hygiene and so on are also provided to the community each year.
Since the objectives governed by the hospital is, to provided qualitative health services to the people who can and who cannot afford in the expensive medical market of the date and to train and produce middle level health professionals ( Health Assistants and Staff Nurses) who will serve the nation at large to the community. Ultimate goal is to develop the institute as a medical school who will admit the students from marginal community and family with the great eager to become a health professional for the country.
All types of people of varying economic status do come to seek the health services in B P Smriti Hospital at present because it has easy access in terms of services and financial sum.
Basic and Advance General Health Check-up for all age group and gender is also provided in manageable expense. Twenty four hour emergency health services, emergency disaster management preparedness and allied medical transport services are smoothly delivering to the patients.
Services available in B P Smriti Hospital:
- Department of Emergency: We welcome and provide services to all types of medical emergencies. Respiratory problems, Bone and joints problems, Cut and wound problems, Gynecological problems, Road-Traffic Accident (RTA) problems, Neuro-surgical problems, Gastro-enteritic problems, Variety Poisoning, Gynecological and Obstetric emergencies, Uro-medical and Surgical problems, ICU services to adult and children, ECG, Stitches and Dressings etc.
- Department of Medicine: Respiratory diseases like Chronic Obstructive Airway Diseases with acute exacerbation (COAD), acute and chronic Bronchial asthma, acute and chronic bronchitis, Broncheolitis, Pulmonary tuberculosis, Pneumonitis and Pneumonia, Oxygen therapy, Nebulizer, BiPAP, Ventilators, ICU management, calibration syringes for the titration of the medicines in the ICU, Tracheostomy etc.
- Department of Endocrinology: Endocrinologist provides its special services to the patients and clients who have Diabetes, Thyroid problems and other endocrine disorders. We do have laboratory facilities for endocrine problems. However we may not have very rare specified tests.
- Department of General and Gastro-Surgery: Laparoscopic and open Cholecystectomy, Intestinal obstruction and Laparotomy, Intestinal anastomosis, Gastrectomy, Whipple’s operation, Acute and Interval open and Laparoscopic appendectomy, Liver cysts, Splenic and Pancreatic surgical procedures, Open and Laparoscopic Herniorrhaphy, and other abdominal surgeries, Anal Fistula and Fissures etc.
- Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics: For Pregnant women Ante natal, Intranatal and Post natal care, Normal Vaginal Delivery, Instrumental vaginal delivery, Emergency and Elective Caesarean Sections, High-risk pregnancy management, Emergency and Elective Gynecological problems like management of Ectopic pregnancy – medical, Laparoscopic and open Laparotomy, management of Menstrual Problems like Oligomenorrhoea, Epimenorrhoea, menorrhagia (bleeding per vaginum), Dysmenorrhoea, Puberty menorrhagia, PAP smear, Cervical Biopsy and management of cervical lesion like HSIL, Trachelorrhaphy, Cry and Electrotherapy, medical and surgical management of Endometriosis, Ovarian non-malignant and malignant cysts and tumour management (Operative and Chemotherapy), Uterine Fibroid surgeries like myomectomy, Repair of uterus in case of congenital malformation, Indicative Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, Pelvic Floor Repair (PFR) and Vaginal Hysterectomy for displacement of pelvic organs, Repair of Cystocele, Urethrocele, Enterocele, Rectocele, Problems in the Vulva-Vagina medical or surgical management, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) management, Diagnosis, Investigations and management of Subfertility (Except IVF), Perimeno-menopausal and postmenopausal problem’s management and Counselling, all kinds of temporary and permanent Family Planning contraceptives services etc.
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery: Fracture of the any bones (open or close, pathological or traumatic) , Sprain-strain-dislocation or sub-luxation of the joints, Infective or degenerative or traumatic Arthritis, Congenital or Pathological malformation of the bones, Spinal problems like dislocation of the inter-vertebral discs, infective vertebral bones and joints, replacement of the knee and hip joints, Arthoscopy, Physiotherapy etc.
- Department of Uro-Surgery and Medicines: Stones in the Excretory systems – Kidney stones, Ureteric stones, Urinary Bladder Stones surgeries – Endoscopic and open lithotomy and lithotrites, PCNL, repaire of urinary systems like pyeloplasty, Double-J (DJ) stenting, Endoscopic management of urinary tumours, Cystoscopy, Endoscopic Prostate operation, congenital or traumatic urethral repair – urethroplasty, problems in the testes like torsion of the testis, Hydrocele, re-canalization of the Vas-deference, Nephrectomy etc.
- Department of Paediatric Surgery: Management of surgical problems of a new born like imperforated anus, omphalocele, gastrochiasis, tracheo-esophageal fistula, undescended testes, congenital and acquired hernia and hydrocele, Intestinal obstruction, liver and other abdominal surgical problems and management, management of Children’s urinary and kidneys problems etc.
- Department of Ear Nose and Throat (ENT): management of medical problems of the ENT (Sinusitis, Tonsilitis, Pharyngitis, Laryngitis, Otitis), Surgical problems of Ears (ear pinna – Loti, Ear drum – Jali, Otitis-media and operations – Tympanoplasty, Mastoidectomy), Tonsilectomy, Thyroidectomy and Hemithyroidectomy, Deviated Nasal Septums (Septoplasty), Cosmetic Surgeries of Nose, Cheek and Ears etc
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU): Adult, Paediatric and Neonatal intensive care, Ventilator Bi-pap services, isolation ICU services for the specific cases etc are available. Ten beds for adult ICU service, four each for paediatrics and neonatal are up to date until now. Fully functioning ICU services is provided to the patients like neurological, medical, poisoning, gynaecological and so on are provided in manageable economic total.
- Post Operative Ward: All the operative cases are managed in post operative ward. General and Gastro-endoscopic surgeries, ENT surgeries, Orthopaedic surgeries, Gynecological and Obstetric surgeries are mainly managed in Post Operative ward, however, nerurosurgical patients are managed in ICU.
- Department of Radiology: Ultrasounds of Abdomen, Pelvis, Breast, Thyroid and other soft tissues spaces, all kinds of X-Rays basics and specific-advance, Echocardiography etc are available and serving.
- Department of Pathology: Hematology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Parasitology, Cytology (PAP), Histopathology (Thyroid Function Test, Kidney Function Test, Liver Function Test, Vitamin D, PSA, CA-125, CEA, Serum beta-hCG, Serum FSH, Serum LH, HbA1C, LDH, FNAC, Bone marrow aspiration cytology, ADA are some of the laboratory services. Parasitology such as Urine analysis and Culture, Stool examination and Culture, Pus Gram’s stain and Culture, Blood Culture etc are also available.
- Department of Dermatology: Medical and surgical skin problems, cosmetic skin surgeries etc
- Department of Psychiatry: Identification of Psychiatry problem and very good counselling to the patient in OPD setting and Indoor service is provided.
- Department of Ophthalmology: Basic ophthalmological infective and Refractory services are available by Ophthalmologist and Optometrist.
- Department of Dentistry: all types of dental fillings, extraction, root canal feeling and orthodontics, prosthodontics services, Maxillofacial surgeries, Dental X-rays etc
- Department of Physiotherapy: All kinds of physiotherapy services by qualified physiotherapist from 7am to 6pm to the patients with neurological problems, orthopaedic problems, muscular dystrophy etc are provided.
- Endoscopic Services: Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and biopsy if required, Colonoscopy and procedures like Polypectomy and colonic biopsy etc are available and provided.
BP Smriti Hospital is a Community Hospital which provides all types of medical services to the patients and community. It also provides middle level health education by which Staff Nurses and Health Assistants are trained. Within the affordable economic volume, services are delivered to the seekers. With the effort and wish from the people involved in the institute, it will be able to turn into a medical school who will produce a higher level medical manpower in the future endeavour.